PTA Board Recruiting
Join the PTA Board for 2022-2023! See below for position descriptions:
Co-Presidents: Your PTA members look to you for leadership in creating partnerships within your community and fostering an environment where family engagement is encouraged and respected. Responsibilities include:
- Organizing and chairing board and general meetings
- Overseeing fiscal compliance
- Serving as a liaison with school administration or community partners
- Checking in regularly with officers and committees to ensure the overall plan is on target
- Identifying challenges and inviting solutions
- Familiarizing yourself with all PTA programs and resources
- Representing PTA to the community
- Recruiting and mentoring volunteers and future leaders
- Volunteering at events
Secretary: You will serve your PTA by keeping an accurate record of meetings, which become part of the permanent history of the PTA. Some responsibilities of the Secretary include:
- Working with the President to create a meeting agenda
- Sending out meeting announcements, agendas, and supporting documents
- Taking attendance and checking for quorum (minimum number of members who must be present to conduct business at a meeting) during voting
- Presenting the draft minutes of the previous meeting, making any corrections and ensuring approved minutes are included in your PTA’s permanent record
- Taking minutes, including counting and recording any votes.
Treasurer: Your PTA relies on you to ensure that appropriate financial records are kept, a budget is established and followed, and controls are in place to prevent theft or fraud. Responsibilities include:
- Keeping accurate records and submitting written financial statements for meetings
- Chairing the Budget Committee, which prepares and monitors the annual budget
- Ensuring an audit, financial review, or compilation is done in accordance with the bylaws
- Preparing an annual report to be used to review your PTA financial records
- Filing your PTA’s 990 report to the IRS on time—if your unit is a 501(c)(3)
- Submitting state-level reports and filings as required
- Overseeing proper handling of money, such as ensuring money is collected, counted, recorded, and deposited promptly and appropriately
- Ensuring financial checks and balances are in place at all times
VP of Technology: The VP of technology will provide the Westchester PTA with a technology strategy that helps the PTA be effective in its mission while making business practices more efficient through use of the most appropriate utilization of technology.
Current technology used:
- Google suite used for document sharing and collaboration email
- Paypal used to receive membership, donations, fundraising revenue (spirit wear, Battle of the Bands:
- MyMitsy site used for PTA website, Read-a-thon, and Move-a-thon fundraising
- Quickbooks Online used for finances
- Sign Up Genius for volunteer events
VP of Communications: We always need help communicating all the great things going on at our school, so let us know if you’d like to help write or design for our newsletter, website, flyers, yearbook, spirit wear, etc. We are also looking for parents with a good eye and a decent camera to take photos at some of our fun events.
Provides content in coordination with volunteers and VP of Technology for:
- PTA newsletter/corner eblasts
- Social Media posts
- Class Communications
- Online Store
- DEF/SLT/CSD liason
VP of Community Outreach: Serve as an informal liaison with PTAs in the City Schools of Decatur, the Decatur Educational Foundation, and other community groups.
- Teacher Appreciation
- Dine outs
- Building and grounds (beautification)
- “Fellas being involved (FBI car pool takeover)
- Presence of Community Events ie: Mardi Gras
- Teacher/staff liaison
- GRANTS committee
VP of Fundraising: Responsible for raising funds to support PTA activities, including money that will be used to support teachers, staff, and students throughout the year.
- Battle of the Bands
- Field Trip Shirts
- Merchandise Sales
- Dine outs
- Parents Night Outs
- Use your creativity to brainstorm other options!
VP of Diversity, Equity, Inclusion: The lower elementary schools in CSD have an active DEI team and support several events throughout the year.
- Educate our community of adults and children on the heart behind matters of race and diversity.
- Initiate previously unexplored and enhance existing conversations around acceptance and understanding.
- Strengthen empathy between families through sharing of traditions.
- Advocate for families and students adversely affected by incidents and concerns of inequity or discrimination.